Getting samples is a convenient, inexpensive way to try out new beauty products and discover ones to add to your arsenal. Some companies offer trial- or sample-sized versions of their products, either for free or for a minimal fee. More often that not, though, the samples you get are from the same brand (naturally), and so you’re left to search for brands and get samples individually.
Beauty boxes represent a shift in the sampling “process”, if you will. Every month, you get to receive a set of products rather than individual samples – and from different brands, too. Some boxes offer a standard set of samples, while others offer a curated mix based on your profile. Some are generous enough to provide full-sized versions of certain products, which more than makes up for the box’s cost. And for me personally, receiving a box through the post has always been such a happy experience. (Really, who doesn’t like receiving gifts, yes?)
To keep fees low, though, beauty box subscriptions normally ship to specific countries only – so I was happy to find out that we have (as far as I know) three subscriptions available in the country! Last month, I subscribed to GlamourBox, which seemed to have the best bang for your buck.
The November box was quite nice and the hands-down winner was the Eye of Horus mascara. Love, love, love it.
Yesterday I received my December box of goodies. The theme is “Holiday Glow”, and the products have been chosen to “keep your skin glowing and radiant during those long days of shopping and… to get you glammed up at holiday parties.”
Sounds good to me!
The items in the December 2012 box are:
- Obagi Nu-Derm Foaming Gel: a gel-based cleanser that removes impurities, oil, and makeup to leave even the oiliest skin clean and fresh.
- Skinfood Gold Caviar Toner: A gratifying toner formulated with visible pure gold, which softens the skin, and with Russian caviar, which counters wrinkles and fortifies, nourishes, and firms up the skin.
SkinFood Gold Caviar Emulsion:An anti-aging and softening emulsion made with Russian caviar and pure gold, it helps moisturize and revitalize the skin.
- VMV Hypoallergenics Subtle Shine Lipstick – Girl Next Door: The lipstick equivalent of the little black dress: an elegant basic that never goes out of style. Great impact via intense color, a touch of fun from an elegant satin shine.
- Kosmea Hydrating Rosewater Mist: Experience an instant wake-up call with Kosmea’s Hydrating Rosewater Mist. The cooling facial spray revitalises and rehydrates tired skin for an invigorated feeling.
- Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel: Combining advanced skin-caring elements that replenish and repair skin from within, Neutrogena Hydro Boost Water Gel constantly hydrates and protects skin from the negative effects of your daily routine.
- Benefit Cosmetics – They’re Real Mascara: They’re real! lengthens, curls, volumizes, lifts & separates. The jet black, long-wearing formula won’t smudge or dry out.
Benefit Cosmetics – POREfessional: Quickly minimize the appearance of pores & fine lines for smoother-than-smooth skin!
- Issey Miyake L’eau D’ Issey Pour Femme: Aquatic floral scent with transparent wafts of lotus, freesia and cyclamen. It combines the spray of a waterfall, fragrance of flowers, and the scent of springtime forests.
Issey Miyake L’eau D’ Issey Pour Homme: A world of light, balance and strength, with a lively sensation of freshness. It awakens the senses with its blend of citrus, precious woods and spices.
Will post detailed reviews soon, but I really like GlamourBox and I’m glad I got the 3-month subscription. Although the promise is for 5 samples, as you can see from the list above, the box contains more than that – and with a full-size product, it already more than compensates for the cost of the box itself. And I love the surprise aspect of not knowing what you’ll get for the month (unless, of course, you receive it late and have read the box contents from the site or other reviews). I got the November box, and I’m very much looking forward to the January box.