This holiday season I have been thinking of making treats for my daughter and some of the other kids who will be coming over on Christmas day. I’ve settled on making Rice Krispies treats for the simple reason that, looking at all the recipes I’ve found on the web, they are very, very, easy to make.
The basic recipe calls for:
- butter or margarine, 3tbsps
- marshmallows, 1 package or 10oz
- Kellogg’s (R) Rice Krispies (R) cereal, 6 cups
And the basic instructions are as follows (taken from the Rice Krispies website):
- In large saucepan melt butter over low heat. Add marshmallows and stir until completely melted. Remove from heat.
- Add KELLOGG’S RICE KRISPIES cereal. Stir until well coated.
- Using buttered spatula or wax paper evenly press mixture into 15 x 10 x 1-inch pan coated with cooking spray. Cool slightly.
Following the above instructions will give you the basic treat which is just open to a world of possibilities. For Christmas, Rice Krispies has a few suggestions on their website, such as candy canes, stars, wreaths, Christmas trees, and ornaments. These are made from canned frosting or decorating gel and assorted candies as licorice and m&ms.
How creative is that? I’m inspired and hope to be posting my own creations soon!