This week, I’m switching a couple of items out of my makeup bag, rotating in some items that need to be used. These are all old items in my makeup arsenal that are in bad need of use and rediscovery. Once upon a time I thought they were worth buying, but they sort of faded out of my attention as new ones came along. But they remain great products (if a little closer towards their expiry dates), so they’re what’s in my makeup kit this week.
- Shu Uemura Face Architect Glow Enhancing Powder Foundation: Shu Uemura is my go-to splurge brand. When I had just started work (and was earning a ridiculously low salary), one of the first expensive items that I bought was a Shu Uemura powder foundation – it came in a white compact but I honestly can’t remember anymore the name of the powder foundation was, it was that long ago! The Face Architect foundation does a good job of evening out my skin tone though coverage is medium at best. But its best effect is keeping oiliness at bay. No shine, no oil spots whatsoever. This is perfect for our weather that’s recently turned warm and humid.
- Benefit Cosmetics Brows a Go Go: this compact multi-purpose kit for eyes and brows is a lifesaver for amateurs like me. It contains two brow zings powder, one in dark and light (I use a blend of both for my brows which I find has the best natural looking effect); brow zings wax, to keep brow hairs in place; smokin’ liner which I haven’t used at all; eye bright to brighten the inner corners of your eyes; brow highlighter powder to highlight the area under the arch of your brows; and tweezers and a double-ended brush. For $38 (in my case less, as I believe I bought this on eBay) you get a product that takes care of your entire eye area, and the only thing missing is something for your undereyes, which my Sephora brightening concealer takes care of.
- Benefit Cosmetics Bad Gal Lash: this promises full, voluminous lashes but the effect for me is a notch-above-subtle enhancement of my lashes. Which is okay by me as I hate people commenting I looked like I curled my lashes. This is unfortunately not waterproof or smudgeproof, so be careful when rubbing your eyes. Other than that, I do love it.
- Benefit Cosmetics Full Finish Lipstick in La La Land: with its nude rose shade, it has captured my interest on first sight and I will definitely repurchase when I finish this. (Which should be really soon.) It’s my “your lips but better” lipstick, looks good on any occasion and has never caused my lips to chap. That said, my lips have been a bit chappy lately, so I use a layer of Carmex lip balm underneath to keep application smooth.
- Everyday Minerals Blush in Jump Rope: this is a pink to mauve shade with cool undertones. I have to use a little bit more product than usual to get it to appear on my cheeks, but when it does, the effect is very, very, natural. I think this is a discontinued shade, though. (Everyday Minerals has almost completely overhauled their collection since my last buying frenzy, phasing out products and replacing them with new ones.)
What’s in your makeup kit this week? Feel free to share!