This has become a pattern: I would buy something, put it in my makeup kit, and forget about it until a few days later when I would take it out, try it out, and either rediscover why I bought it in the first place, or wonder why I bought it in the first place.
Case in point. I was a recent customer of Digital Traincase, a beauty boutique devoted to all hard-to-find beauty brands loved by celebrities, makeup artists and beauty editors. I have to say that ever since I started my blog, I’ve become a little bit more aware of the local makeup market. I used to just look in department stores (and occasionally, eBay) for foreign brands, without realizing that there are entrepreneurial folks out there who can bring, and have been bringing, them to our shores, for reasonable prices. And Nyx has been one of those brands that I have been interested in trying, but never did try to find a way to get my hands on them – until now.
Add a little more sweetness to your lips with a touch of the Butter Lip Gloss available in 12 scrumptious colors! Get creamy sheer to medium coverage on your lips without that sticky sensation. It’s perfect for every sweet tooth!
• What it is: It’s buttery lip gloss with a sweet scent that provides sheer to medium coverage on your lips without that sticky feeling.
• What it does: Provides nourishment with a flush of color on your lips giving you the perfect pout.
• Why we love it: Adore that it can be worn alone or over your favorite lipstick! It’s delicious and gorgeous at the same time.
• How to use: Apply on lips with the applicator included alone or over your favorite lipstick making your lips appear more voluptuous. (Source: Nyx website)
I had a long debate (in my head) about which shade to get. Based on the color depth, Peaches and Cream was my first choice, followed by Maple Blondie and Apple Strudel. I went with P&C and also bought a Soft Matte Lip Cream in Antwerp (which I will be reviewing separately, but which you will see in the pictures for comparison!).
Upon unscrewing the applicator top, the first thing you’ll notice is the scent of something sweet, like a mixture of butter, vanilla, and brown sugar. I didn’t mind it at all, though it might be not too everyone’s liking. And it does go away a few short moments later. It has a doe foot applicator which manages to get enough product for one swipe; I wonder, though, if a lip brush might be better.
One coat has enough color payoff to offer light to medium coverage, depending on your lips’ pigmentation. I find that I need two coats, as the first one just barely covers my darker upper lip. With the second coating, the color becomes even. Even if you pile it on, though, it never feels heavy on the lips. The stickiness fades, too, so there’s no icky feeling after.
I may get my two runners-up choices (okay let me be honest, I also got the Creme Brulee, a Natural shade, but I might give it away or use lipstick underneath as when used alone, it barely registers on my lips – I know, Natural, right?) soon but I also wish that Nyx expanded the color options for their Butter Glosses. I would love to have some in old rose, medium pinks and plums.
What I liked:
- Cheap! (PHP270 via Digital Traincase)
- Very pigmented
- Ease of application
- Butter / vanilla / brown sugar scent (it doesn’t linger, but may not be for everyone)
- Non-sticky, light finish
- Moisturizing (didn’t dry my lips out)
What I didn’t like / can be improved:
- Staying power
- Wider range of colors
- Doe applicator is okay but I would have preferred a lip brush
What do you think of Nyx Butter Gloss in Peaches and Cream? Let me know!