After a LONG wait, my Glossybox February 2013 box has arrived in Manila. I have been waiting for this one since last February when it shipped. There were lots of talk and feedback about its contents, but now that it’s here, I can finally judge for myself.
The theme for this month is International Style. There’s a lot of room for possibilities with the theme; you can source products quite literally from anywhere outside the US, and it’d be an international box. However, two of the five items seemed to be products made in the US, albeit the brands are unfamiliar to me. And yes, I did hope a tiny bit that at least one product would be from the Philippines, but the rest are from Italy, Korea, and UK.
Here is the rundown of the items in the box:
1. BVLGARI Eau Parfumee Au The Blanc Soap (sample size, approx $10/1.76 oz; Full size $30.00/5.3 oz): hailing from famed Italian jewelry house Bulgari, this deluxe creamy beauty soap is lightly scented with the rejuvenating fragrance of Eau Parfumee Au The Blanc. It thoroughly cleanses and moisturizes your skin, leaving it feeling radiant, clean, and supple.
This is the reason why the box smells SO good. Even without opening the box to know it’s a soap from a high-end brand, the words that came to mind were luxurious and light. It’s not overly feminine, and quite clean in fact. It’s a perfect scent to wear every day or during the day. This made me curious about the perfume itself, so while I wouldn’t think of buying a $30 soap, I’m thinking I might get the eau de cologne.
2. DA VINCI COSMETICS Shimmer Powder in Bronze (Full size $15.00/.06 oz): This versatile shimmering mineral powder is one of America’s best kept beauty secrets. Made from the highest quality ingredients, it gives your face a subtle glow when you apply with an eyeshadow or blush brush as an under eyebrow or cheek highlighter.
Ahh, more mineral makeup! I’m still finishing my Everyday Minerals collection so I’m not sure if I will get to use this anytime soon. The shade I got is Bronze, which is great as an eyeshadow but if it were to be used as a cheek highlighter, would probably need to be done so sparingly.
3. LISI Eye Definition Cream Eyeliner in Cat’s Eye (Full size $10.00/.14 oz): exclusively available at one of our favorite New York beauty boutiques, this creamy, smudge-proof formula is a must-have in your eyeliner arsenal. You’ll find this eyeliner is long lasting and easy to apply. It will give you expressive eyes in a New York minute.
Cat’s Eye is a deep black shade perfect for the eye makeup look of the same name. Again, I have a few eyeliners I’m still finishing, and they’re all pencil types – no need for a brush. This one looks richly pigmented and promises to be easy to apply, but long lasting.
4. MISSHA Super Aqua Cell Renew Snail Hydro Gel Mask (Full size $6.00/0.98 oz): this innovative hydro gel mask is an Asian beauty secret. It moisturizes, soothes, regenerates your skin, and is known to reverse skin damage as well as have natural healing powers when applied. Word on the street is it has a huge celebrity following!
This is probably one of the most talked about contents of the box due to its unusual ingredient: snail slime extract! Apparently, this tiny animal’s secretion is full of proteins, hyaluronic acid, and antioxidants. Skin benefits include stimulation of collagen and elastin, as well as repair of free-radical damage. I doubt that a single application would be enough to deliver all of that, so I’m hoping for some immediate (short-term) results at the very least.
5. NAIL ROCK Nail Wraps (Full size $8.00/1 set): take a walk on the wild side and embellish your nails with these fashion forward nail wraps designed to last up to 10 days. With no chipping or drying time, no wonder it is the current favorite of beauty bloggers everywhere.
The good news is, I didn’t get a design that’s very obviously not age-appropriate for me, as some have. The black-and-white stripes are a little bit more wearable. The bad news is, I don’t normally wear nail polish! So this is probably going to go into my giveaway bin.
As usual the monthly subscription costs $21 (plus tax) but the price of the box contents totals about $49, so from that standpoint it’s worth it. However, I’ll be giving away most of the items I got with the exception of the Bvlgari soaps and the snail masks. Overall, I’m not satisfied with this month’s box, but that is the risk you take with beauty box subscriptions. That said, with the recent unveiling of one item in the March 2013 box – a ModelCo lip and cheek tint – I have something to look forward to.
What do you think of the Glossybox February 2013 (International Style) box? Share your thoughts below!